Pages

May 06, 2007

Birthday cereal: a family tradition since 1993

Peek into our pantry and you'll get a taste of breakfast at Chez Moldofsky. When it comes to cereal we're all about the healthy stuff- Cheerios, Raisin Bran, Life, and when we let ourselves go, a box of Frosted Mini-Wheats.

As a child Cap'n Crunch and Count Chocula were my regular dining companions. Our cereal cabinet was filled with Sugar Pops, Cocoa Puffs, Frosted Flakes, and Lucky Charms (even though we only ate the marshmallows).

I sometimes feel guilty about my kids' wholesome morning diet. So on his birthday, each boy gets to pick out the cereal of his choice- fiber content be damned! Artificial colors? The more, the merrier! Excess sugar- who cares, they're headed to school for the day!

Even at 7 and 9 years old the traditional birthday cereal is still a pretty big deal. As they get older, it's almost sad to see them excited over something that I took for granted...until I remember how many dental fillings I have and how much a certain little person in our house really needs his fiber.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails